Tuesday, September 9, 2014

Ramen Nagi - Universal Noodle





The Budget Eater REVIEW : Ramen Nagi - Universal Noodle

Although I'm a big fan of Japanese foods, Ramen is not really on the first on my list where maki and tempura are my top picks. I've tasted Ramen X and some regular old Ramen and although I think they're good I still would not be in a rush to get one.

My grandmother rarely goes out but interestingly it seems my cousin was successful in making her come with us to a simple get together and lunch. Since it was my cousin's treat we went to SM Aura in Taguig (or is it Makati now?) and try Ramen Nagi.






Ramen Nagi specializing on ramen (no suprise there) opened last year and a lot of people has been raving about this ramen restaurant. Due to that I was curious on how it would fare to the last time I ate some from which is Ramen X.

We got there nearly around lunch and the place was very much crowded up to the seats outside including the waiting line. So we were about 4th or 5th group in the waiting line and had the chance to look around for a while and also examine their menu too. Around thirty minutes (iirc*) of waiting we finally got seats as a group had just billed out.


The Ramen Menu


Limited King : Mabo King


Side Dishes


Side dishes menu other side

Ordering time and my cousin ordered every type of ramen except the red king since the waiter told us it was of Level 5 spiciness (I don't know what the levels were but  level 5 seems to be something normal people would not eat after taking a sip). Although you can customize the spiciness of your ramen to level 5 only the red king has a default of level 5 spiciness. Additionally my cousin ordered 2 servings each of gyoza, curry spring rolls and chicken karaage. Serving of food is quick as after ordering we didn't wait for more than five or ten minutes before the first ramen was being delivered to us. It's eating time! All ramen has soft and tasty noodles which I think are hand pulled and freshly made in their kitchen.

The order slip


Waiting for our order


First up is the original king a.k.a. Butao. This would be the default character if you're playing an online game (a warrior/swordsman perhaps?). This one apparently suits my taste-buds very much. Just the right amount of richness and flavor although it is not spicy in any way (level 0 spiciness I think?)


Original King (Butao)

Next is the Black King a.k.a. Kuroo (Kuro is the Japanese for Black). Now this one I also like but is too rich. The soup that is flavored with squid ink is very strong. A hint of spiciness (Level 1 or 2 can't really tell). The pork in this soup is the one I like the best.


Black King (Kuroo)

Next is the Green King a.k.a. Midorio (Again Midori is Japanese for Green). This one is a bit weird. It's like pasta turned ramen. The soup's flavor is of very strong pesto (basil). I wasn't able to taste the Parmesan cheese that it was supposedly lavishly garnished. It's okay but I'll still prefer Kuroo than Midorio.


Green King (Midorio)

Lastly for the ramen we have Mabo King which is a limited offer. Now this one is your Mapo/Mabo tofu turned ramen. It's a fusion of a popular japanese and a popular chinese dish. My sister would surely love Mabo king as she is a big fan of mabo tofu. The difference here is that the ramen has thick spicy soup that you can slurp with the soft tofu. The level of spiciness here might be around 3 or so.



Mabo King

For the side dishes we have Curry spring rolls. This is the first time I've seen and tasted one. Its got curried pork and sotanghon noodles in spring roll wrapper which you can dip in regular tomato ketchup on the side. Very tasty with a dash of curry spice.


Curry Spring Rolls

The chicken karaage is your usual chicken karaage similar to Tokyo Tokyo. The difference is that Ramen Nagi's chicken karaage is more like chicken balls and tastes very good with it's dip and veggie side dish. I was able to eat 3 of these balls.


Chicken

Karaage!

Last side dish is their gyoza. I loved this very much. Their gyoza has soft dough and served in a sizzling plate so that there are sides that has some crisp. Included with the gyoza are nice bean sprouts  and a soy sauce (I think) based dip. It's very good dish to top your ramen.


Gyoza

and Gyoza

Ramen Nagi's prices on the ramen averages on 400php per bowl. You can customize your order have add ons. The side dishes averages around 190php per order. A bowl of ramen and one side dish is good enough for two so to maximize your budget two persons can share a meal together. Ask for small bowls and you may opt for additional noodles if you want. For a budget eater experience you should not go solo and prefer to share with someone (A date perhaps?). Although the food is good I still think that 400php for a bowl of their ramen still too steep.

Budget Eater Rating : 
2 out of 5 if you go solo. The price I think is really made for two person sharing.
4 out of 5 if you go as group or at least with someone and share different bowls.

I love the Butao (Original King) but all the food are delicious so there is never a wrong pick. It might hurt the budget for solo eating but it is still a good dine. The place is very cozy and has nice ambiance that it's like you're sitting in a ramen house in Japan. Although I suggest that their waiters/waitress should be a little more attentive.


Banners

Condiments and spices

Ceiling lighting

Wall decorations made of bowls

Wall decoration of different ramen



Placemat

Ramen Nagi Facebook Page
Locations : SM Mall of Asia, SM Aura Premier, SM North Edsa and Robinson's Magnolia
Average Budget per person : 400php to 600php