Friday, September 12, 2014

Magnum Manila - Ice Cream Parlour





Budget Eater Review : Magnum Manila - Ice Cream Parlour

After eating at Ramen Nagi (Check out our review HERE!) we decided to try out what the big buzz is at Magnum Manila. I've been reading a lot of things and fb tags here for quite some time already. I've tried the chocolate truffle magnum months ago at our nearest convenience store and I'd say that while it is good ice cream the hefty price tag of fifty pesos for one is not so right.






Since it's my mom's treat I'll be trying some! Magnum Manila is just a few steps away from Ramen Nagi so we were there quick. Lo and behold the lines for both dine-in and take-out is quite long! The dine-in line was moving much more slower than the take-out line though. We were getting the customized magnum and not any fancy dessert so of course we opted for the take-out line. The inside is really comfy and the interior design is very good for an ice cream parlor.


Lights above the counter


Chunks of chocolate as display


Chunks of chocolate as display


Chunks of chocolate as display


Chunks of chocolate as display


The wait begins!

While waiting we were already choosing what kind of toppings we would like. There's a lot to choose from like caramel crunch, chocolate crunch, dried strawberries, crushed potato chips, honeycombs, mini mallows, chopped pretzels, crushed pistachios, crushed chocolate chip cookies, yogurt nibs, dried pepper?, popcorn, sea salt, crushed Oreo, dried mangoes and some more that I forgot and did not get on a picture.


The various toppings


The various toppings


The various toppings


The various toppings

After finally getting through the long line it's finally our turn. A customized magnum costs a hundred bucks. Wow. The customization actually costs fifty pesos. With the long line this is a good thing for the establishment. I ended up choosing something different for my order since my wife, my mom and myself chose both the crunch toppings. I chose the caramel crunch, dried strawberry and strawberry chocolate chip on chocolate truffle dipped in milk chocolate and drizzled with white chocolate. For my wife she decided on chocolate crunch, dried strawberries and crushed Oreo on chocolate truffle dipped in dark chocolate drizzled with white chocolate. My mom picked chocolate crunch, dried strawberries and pistachios while my cousin had caramel crunch, mini mallows and what I think is yogurt nibs. I can't remember if they also picked chocolate truffle or the white magnum.



My toppings being prepared


Drizzle! Drizzle!


Drizzle! Drizzle!


The finale! Magnum chocolate logo

The customized ice cream is then topped with a small chocolate magnum logo and served to you in a small half box. We the ate our ice cream outside looking at the view of the surrounding place. You already know that I think the regular magnum is overpriced then you'd know that a hundred bucks for a 3 toppings, a dip and some drizzle this one is also on my list of overpriced items. It's still a nice dessert just not the one you'd eat every week or something but still very nice to have once in a while.

My own customized magnum



My own customized magnum


Karmie's (My wife) custom magnum on the bottom


Upper left : My cousin's
Bottom left : My mom's
Upper right : Mine
Lower right : My wife's


Budget Eater Rating :
2 out of 5 - Something like this you try out once and would forgo another chance unless free. It's not a million times better than some ice cream brands and the novelty of customizing your own wears out really quick.


The Magnum Logo...


...made out of Magnum Sticks!


Looks like someone enjoyed it very much.

Magnum Manila Facebook page
Located at SM Aura Premier at the Sky Dining zone
Average budget per person : 100 php for a customized magnum
Wasn't able to look at the menu for the other dessert offerings. Maybe next time? :p